Thursday, May 20, 2010

"Women, Food, and God"......Loving the skin I'm in

Its day five of reading "Women, Food, and God" by Geneen Roth and the strangest thing happened today. As I was brushing my teeth this morning, I happened to glance up at the mirror and I found the most beautiful brown eyes looking back at me. It shocked me for a moment. I had to look closer and upon closer inspection I discovered that those beautiful brown eyes belonged to me. They are the same beautiful brown eyes that intently watch and pay attention to every detail of the lives of the Artis 6 so that I am able to detect any hint of danger. They are the same eyes that lovingly look deep into the eyes of my wonderful husband every night as I tell him how much I love him. They are the same beautiful brown eyes that pay attention to every detail of our home, always inspecting it to make sure its comfortable for my family, the same beautiful eyes that watch my children play and achieve, and enjoy life. They are the same beautiful brown eyes that I passed on to a few of my sons and daughters that I love so much. Its been high school since I realized that my eyes or anything else on me is beautiful. Its been a while since I noticed how wonderful I am. I am a great writer. I am creative. I am an "out of the box" thinker. I'm a problem solver and a great leader. I can plan a great organized event on a shoe-string budget. I am able to stay calm in intense situations and think clearly. I'm a great multi-tasker. I'm smart as a whip. I'm caring without being mushy and smothering. I'm an awesome wife.....just ask Papa Bear Ike.....he knows how lucky he is to have me. I don't argue and cause alot of tension in our home. I pride myself on creating a loving and comfortable home environment. There are so many wonderful things about me that I ignore everyday as I beat me up for being overweight. Yes, of course I need to lose the weight, for health reasons and other stuff too, but what I have been missing is the fact that I lost me in my obsession to lose the weight. Losing weight has been the focal point of my days, months, and past 14 years. I have decided that yes I'm going to work on losing the weight but it won't be what my mind revolves around and obsesses about. I will enjoy my food without over-indulging. I will live life as I lose weight. I will see the beauty in each day and realize that I don't get these days with my family back. Once a day is done, its gone.......I don't want to come to the end of my life and realize that I wasted so much time refusing to enjoy life because I was obsession over being overweight. I promise to take each day one day at a time and I promise to live each day.






1 comment:

  1. Dear Courtney,

    What a beautiful, inspiring post. I hope Women Food and God continues to touch you in places that you never imagined. Peace on your journey.

    Warmly,
    Geneen Roth

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the Comment Love!